Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Dan Dan Mian (Dan Dan Noodles)



 Believe it or not, even though I am a native of China I have never eaten Dan Dan Mian while I grew up there.  The first time I had Dan Dan Mian was actually at a Taiwanese restaurant.  Nowadays many restaurants and cultures have their own version of this delicious noodle dish.

 The original Dan Dan Mian came from Sichuan province in China and is supposed to be very spicy cooked with peppercorn and hot chili oil.  However, for this recipe I have tailored it to suit my non-spicy tongue and my four-year old toddler.


If you've been following my blog, you would know I do not like complicated things, that includes my style of dressing and cooking.  As always, I tried to look for recipes with the least steps and ingredients.  I found this one from Momofukufor2 to be the simplest.  I've changed up the recipe here and there based on my own preference.

Dan Dan Mian (Serves 2)
Ingredients:
4 cups of chicken stock
Sesame Paste Mixture:
2 tablespoons Sesame Paste (or Tahini, can be found at local Asian markets)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced shallots

Meat
1/2 lb ground beef
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil

 1 cup of chopped Choi Sum (Chinese vegetable usually sold in Asian markets, can substitute with Spinach or Bok Choy)
1 egg (I made mine soft boiled because I wanted it to resemble the Dan Dan Mian eaten at a Japanese restaurant)
noodles of your choice (I used ramen)
sliced green onions for garnish
Chili oil (for the spicy lovers.  I sprinkled some on top of my noodles at the end for that authentic Sichuan taste)

Instructions: 

1. In a small wok or frying pan, heat up the teaspoon of vegetable oil over medium high heat and add the minced garlic and shallots. Fry until fragrant, but not burned.  Add in the sesame paste and sugar and mix well.  Put the sesame paste mixture aside or store in container to use later.
2. On a separate pan, cook the ground beef until done. Add in chili bean sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil.  Remove from the heat and keep warm while you cook the noodles.
3. Cook the noodles according to the package instructions and drain.
4. Heat up the chicken stock, blanch the Choi Sum once it boils and take out after a few minutes.
5. Spoon the sesame paste mixture into a bowl, add in the chicken stock and mix well.  Place the noodles inside and mix with the sauce.  Top with ground beef, Choi Sum and egg.  Garnish with green onions and enjoy!


Photos and recipes are owned by Lily and Ftfinspirations.  If you wish to use the photos and contents for any purpose, please contact Lily first and provide a direct link to the original post.




No comments:

Post a Comment